Friday, October 25, 2019

Filming Blog

      Wednesday we started our first day of filming. For the process to begin, we had to check out a camera, a tripod, and an SD card. We filled out the sign out form and got our materials. I brought in a penny board, which is a small skateboard, in order to capture the culture that Vans mostly advertises for. We all had our costumes, which were basically just shorts or jeans, and a t-shirt, long sleeve, or sweatshirt. For the first shot, I was acting. I had to stand and hold the skateboard and “look into the distance.” We took the shot a couple of times to ensure that at least one of them was usable because there can sometimes be background noises or other things you don’t realize until you get to editing. We shot this from a low angle and another from more of an eye level angle. For the next shot, I was riding the penny board. We had to retake this shot many times because I kept falling off the board or not riding it for long enough. We took this shot riding into and away from the sun; from a low, eye level angle; and from a regular eye level angle.
      To transition to a new location, we took shots of me walking and picking up the board. Our next location where we filmed were underneath the bleachers. We wanted to be so that it appeared that I was looking at Savanah’s (one of my group members) shoes through the holes in the bleachers. It was very difficult to position it properly and the lighting wasn’t really working with us so you couldn’t really see it as well as we wanted. We took many takes of this shot trying to get it right. I was sitting on the penny board when i suddenly realize that another girl has the same Vans as me which interests me into becoming friends with her. Another transition shot of me walking towards her was taken as I went to the other side of the bleachers to talk to her. In the last shot, we set up the camera on the tripod, quickly because we were running out of time, and we took a shot of all 3 of us talking and becoming friends. After we were done filming, we dumped all of our footage into a folder on the computer but didn’t look at any of it.
      Today, when we looked at all of our footage, we realized that the camera quality wasn’t the best and we wanted to improve it. We also noticed that, although we tried, our scenes didn’t flow together very well. Our last shot was too high up and it had cut off about 75% of our bodies. Because of all this. we decided to reshoot most of our film on my iPhone. We reshot all the scenes of me skating, which were definite much better today. We also reshot all of the transition shots and we decided that because the lighting didn’t really allow it, we didn’t shoot under the bleachers. Instead we shot me on the bleachers away from our group member Kelly. Our shots were much more clear and made more sense to our concept that we were trying to create. Overall, our new shots from today are much more useable than our original shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment